This sign was posted outside the radio station in the early years
Later year sign posted at the driveway to operating building
WCC Transmitter Building, South Chatham, MA
WCC 500/436Khz transmitter in foreground, HF transmitters in background. 1948
500/436Kc B-11 transmitter at WCC South Chatham facility. At far end are RCA T3 Type H transmitters.
T3 Transmitters from Rocky Point, installed in late 70's
RCA T3 20kw transmitter exhibit at the WCC Museum 2018
RCA T3 20Kw HF Transmitter in service at South Chatham transmitter site
Transmitter Station Engineer, Wally Turzyn at the South Chatham Transmitter Site.
Tone Rack at South Chatham transmitter site. Tones provided remote transmitter keying.
Power generator used in the 1920's at the Chatham Port receiver site.
500kHz transmitter in Power House, 1929 ChathamPort. Callsign WIM
South Chatham transmitter facility emergency generator. Two V-8's in tandem.
WSO and WRQ Alexandersons at Marion 1926
First transmitters were located in Marion Massachusetts. These are the 2 Alexanderson Alternators in Marion. Their callsigns were WRQ and WSO.
Alexanderson Alternator at WCC Marion transmitter facility
Town of Marion and inlet 1926. Picture taken from 400 foot tower at WQR/WSO/WCC transmitter
Picture of Marion transmitting antennas for the Alexanderson Alternators.
Tx Engineer, Bill Ryder/W1KL (SK) tuning a T3 transmitter
WCC Transmitter site in South Chatham, open wire feedlines to antennas located in saltwater marsh
Partial view of transmitter antennas which were located in a saltwater marsh
RCA Designed "H over 2" transmitting antennas in a saltwater marsh. Antennas are similar to a Sterba Curtain. Antennas were on 8, 13, 16 and 22Mhz.
WCC Transmitting antennas. Dipoles on HF and 300' tower for 500/436khz
300' WCC 500/436Khz transmitter tower in a salt water marsh, South Chatham MA
Rigger Manny Abreu climbing the 300' tower
Base of the 500Khz tower showing the tuning house.
Tower demolition in 1999
All that remains of the 300' 500Khz tower are the 4 concrete supports.
Transmitter Engineer's house located next to transmitter building in South Chatham
WCC Operations Building where radio operators were located. The mast on the hill was one of 6, 350 foot masts installed in 1914.
WCC receiving location in North Chatham MA. The 6 masts averaged 350 feet in length and covered approximately one mile. They supported a Marconi Flat Top type of antenna.
Receiving Antennas at ChathamPort Circa 1922
350 foot tower was demolished in 1954
Base of 350 foot tower after demolition 1954
WCC Radio Operators circa 1922.
U.S. Navy occupied the station during WWII. Technicians working in the electronics shop.
HF ops: M. Carver (MC), G.Smith (SH), L.Karlsen(LK), R.Leach (LH). MF op: A.Ringheim (RM). Wire Dept: W.Talkinton (WT), H.Quinn (HQ)
Operator Francis Doane at the 500khz position, July 1956, following the Andrea Doria/ICEH incident.
MF operating position circa 1970
Radio Operator Lee Baumlin working the 500Khz position. Atalanta receiver. 1971
Radio Operator Malcolm McDonald sending a message. Receiver is an RCA model AR88
Radio Operator Charlie Cornwell copying ship traffic. HRO500 receiver. circa 1971
Radio Operator Dan McBride preparing the press broadcast on a Klein for the Creed reader. Circa 1971
WCC R/O Bill Pyne (BP) at the 500Khz position. Late 1980's. Top rcvr: ITT Mackay 3020A. Bottom rcvr: Watkins Johnson
500Khz position circa 1986
R/O Phil Davison at a HF operating position circa 1986.
Wireman Forrest Henry retrieving a message off the wire. 1971
Wireman Bill Lorraine punching traffic for delivery to land based customer. 1971
WCC Wire Department L-R Sally Abreu, Ginny Watson, Nelson Foster, Forrest Henry. circa 1986
Frequency chart for maritime CW operations posted at WCC
Ex WCC Manager Bill Farris (L), Ex GKA Manager Peter Boast (R) at the WCC Museum. Former managers of the two largest coast stations in the world meet at WCC in September 2018.
WWII original telegraph message
Sea Letter form that was used at WCC. This was a reduced rate service where the message was delivered by postal services
Built in 1914, this "Hotel" once served as living quarters for Radio Operators.
Operations building now houses the Marconi/RCA Maritime Radio Museum.
WCC Today. Ops building, Hotel, Ryders Cove
WCC campus today. Operations building in lower left corner of picture.
Advertising dating back to early 1920's.
Click on image for larger view, descriptions and manual scroll